Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Amen, Sister.

I read something that resonated with me over the weekend.

I've spoken before about my strong reaction when people say that "God only gives you what you can handle." But I had a hard time explaining why that sentiment bothers me so much. And then I read this.

That's it! Are you telling me that if I were weaker, D's DNA would be normal? You know what I have to say to that? BITE ME.

Much like Dramalish, I've decided that my mental health is more important than the awkward feeling random people may endure when they say stupid things. Go ahead, walk up to me at the grocery store and ask me, "What's wrong with him?" I dare you. Or come to my home for a meal, and then tell me how lucky we are to have D., or how lucky he is to have us. I will tell you exactly what I think of your statement, and I won't hold back. And I promise you, if you tell me that God gave us D. because we could handle him, you will never, ever make that mistake again.

6 comments:

DESJ and Company said...

the one that kills me?
absolutely makes me want to hit someone?
G-d makes children sick as a kaparah (what the heck is the English word? It's escaping me) for the rest of the world.
It makes me SO irate.
Don't tell me Dovi suffers as a kapparah. G-d isn't that cruel.

WriterGrrl said...

I cannot believe that people say that to you. I mean, I can, actually, because PEOPLE SUCK.

kaparah = atonement

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I'm there with you!

Anonymous said...

Amen. Amen, amen, amen, amen!!!!


And amen.

Anonymous said...

Writergirl - thanks for sharing that website -- I myself avoid saying such statements that do injustice to the pain others feel...however, reading that - gives me one more resource to share with others how to better "empathize" if I can use such a word...anyhow - hope you're well! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

God didn’t give my daughter Sotos syndrome; probability did.