Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Making plans, breaking plans

So, the plan was to go home Wednesday morning or early afternoon, have a bone marrow biopsy on Thursday, and then start Adi's first HR treatment on Saturday night. 


Has anyone ever told you that you can't plan a thing when your kid has cancer?

I got a call from the hospital today reminding me about Adi's bone marrow biopsy tomorrow.

"No, it's on Thursday the 12th," I said. "We're only leaving Eilat tomorrow."

"Ok..." said the girl doubtfully. She called back two minutes later. "Yeah, they don't do bone marrow biopsies on Thursdays. Can you come in on Sunday?"

"Um.... But he's supposed to have the biopsy Thursday and be admitted for treatment on Saturday night. Can I talk to the doctor?"

"She's seeing patients."

"Can she call me back?"

"Ok."

I ran this all by Guy, and we debated what to do. I called the cancer clinic again to ensure that we'd really get a call back, and I was assured that we would. But then Guy figured he'd call the nurse who oversees all the procedures. He got a different nurse, but she knew the story.

They debated for a bit, but in the end it was decided that we'd drive back home tonight and take Adi in (fasting) tomorrow for his Day 78 bone marrow biopsy. 

It's not a terrible inconvenience, because driving at night means much less bickering in the car. But it's just another reminder of how we are at the mercy of this freaking disease.

0 comments: