Monday, June 08, 2009

Interlude

I have a lot of real stuff to blog about, but these are crazy times:

D. finished school on May 27 and has been home every day since. About 7 of those days he spent sick.

Mr. WG also got sick.

So did J.

And S.

Good times, peeps, good times. In the midst of all the fun, I have been trying to maintain some semblance of order in our home and in my work life. I would say I am failing miserably on both counts. Oh, well.

I do have some happy news to report, however. Thanks to careful shopping, coupons, and gift cards for transferring prescriptions, I spent $1.78 at CVS yesterday for 2 bottles of shampoo, 1 bottle of conditioner, 1 bodywash (all Dove), 1 package of Charmin toilet paper (16 double rolls), 4 12-packs of Coke, and I'm pretty certain there was something else I bought, but I can't remember.

Then I hit the grocery stores for the real food. Our meals for the week:

Sunday: Chicken fajitas
Monday: Meatballs and rice
Tuesday: BBQ at my daughter's school
Wednesday: Pizza
Thursday: Sloppy joes
Friday: Shabbat dinner -- chicken, burrekas/sauce, rice, soup,
Shabbat lunch: cholent

I spent a total of $95 at two stores, and that includes what I spent on two packages of kosher chicken, overpriced shredded kosher cheese, 6 boxes of brand name cereal, and so on. I am finally getting the hang of this couponing thing, and I am quite pleased with the results.

Of course, after my successful shopping trips, I took my daughter to Target to buy a bike that we've owed her for several months, and for the first time in MONTHS I spent more than $100 at Target. But $80+ tax was the bike and the helmet. The rest was specialty batteries, toilet paper, and waffles. Not terrible, but still a damper on my otherwise great deal day.

This morning, I have already: put in two loads of laundry, had coffee and oatmeal, had two large glasses of water, invoiced several clients, posted per contractual obligation to the site where I do that, taken D. to CVS to get in on the diaper deal (btw, I personally called corporate CS and verified that the deal is legitimate, and I requested that the cashier manually print my ECBs, which she did. Now the question is if I go back and do it again when it's actually in their computers, since the 3 packs I bought today won't officially be listed as reaching the offer limit. Ah, morals.), and conspicuously avoided working on the large work project that has been on my to-do list for a month. I have GOT to make progress on the damn thing so I can GET PAID.

Look for fairly boring ramblings from me until the kids start camp, when I'll resume my regularly scheduled brilliance. Until I have a baby.

6 comments:

Shosh said...

is the diaper deal really legit??? because i heard it was a misprint and i was so upset!

WriterGrrl said...

Shosh, I'm telling you that when I called corporate they said it was legit and that it would be in the system within 48 hours, but until that happens tell the cashier to force the ECBs, to call corporate if they are reluctant, or to call back after you go to the store, give your receipt number, and they will credit your card.

Shosh said...

Awesome! Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

What are ECBs and how does the couponing thing work? I need a deal (CVS) like that!

Jenny said...

Sorry about all the sickness - that's rough! But, hooray for all your savings!! So glad you're getting the hang of couponing and the CVS deals. It's amazing how much you can save!

Meredith said...

What is an ECB? I was just in cvs today and bought the sale pampers...