Thursday, July 13, 2006

What the heck do I do now?

A quick update on the whole secret smoking thing: so far, I've done... nothing. This is because:

1. I am a big fat coward.
2. I have never smelled smoke on S., and I am really sensitive to smoke.
3. I am a big fat coward.

Right. Moving on to the current crisis: DD2.

DD2 is 5 and a half, and she's starting first grade in the fall. Months and months ago, she was invited to play at a friend's house. She went, she had a great time, we had him over a few weeks later; everything was cool. Then she was invited again. I took her, and she starts whining that she doesn't want to stay and play. We try to persuade her; she refuses. A few weeks after that, the mother called again. This time, I went and asked DD2, "Do you want to go?"

"No."

Fine. So she's got a problem with this particular kid? I might have bought that. Except that yesterday, her teacher, who is a friend and has a daughter DD2's age, called. Did DD2 want to come play? I pose the question. "Yes," she says. Then, about 10 minutes before we had to go, she starts in on why she doesn't want to go. I reason with her. I take her there. I suggest that we JUST TRY FOR 10 MINUTES. No. No. NONONONONO.

I explained to her how it makes people feel bad when you don't want to play with them. How people won't want to come to her house if she never wants to play. How it's BORING to sit home alone.

Nothing doing.

This kid -- I love her. But she makes me NUTS.

Mr. WG suggested listing her on ebay, but I think it violates their TOS. Bummer -- we probably could have gotten a lot for her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does she say when you ask her why she doesn't want to play?

Anonymous said...

I've got nothing on why your DD doesn't want to play. And I also would probably have done nothing with regards to the nanny. I too am a big fat coward when it comes to confrontation! At least you're not smelling smoke...