Wednesday, March 01, 2006


So the neurologist called this morning. The MRI, he says, shows a brain that is not like the one in the picture in the textbook, but that's apparently OK. We shouldn't worry. D. has a small something or other on the left side of the something, a little bit of extra gray matter. He has some extra cerebral fluid between the base of the brain and the skull. But that's OK, too. We have a son with a big head and a brain with variations of normal and a developmental delay.

Wait, didn't we already know that?

Now we move on. We'll do a bone age -- that's just an x-ray of D's hand and wrist that determines how "old" his bones are. If his bone age is advanced, that's a good indication that he won't be as tall as we'd originally thought. If his bone age matches his chronological age -- well, then we need to start contacting NBA teams.

We're also going to see an endocrinologist. And we still have the genetics appointment in May. Plus a followup with the neurologist, also in May.

I thought I would feel more relieved. I know I should feel more relieved. Why am I not more relieved? Partly, I think, because I feel like, Why didn't the neurologist want to think that there might be nothing wrong with D? Why did we have to go through this latest round? And WHY don't nighttime diapers last through the whole night? Because if I have to get up at 4 a.m. again to change my soaked, SOAKED, I tell you, like he was fresh from a bath, if people bathed in FRESH URINE, kid -- well, then, I am going to be EVEN MORE TIRED TOMORROW than I am now.



Dee said...

Hmmm...I wish--as I know you do--that doc (or any doc, for that matter) had an "answer" or at least a notion of one. But at the same time, you're absolutely right--why has no one mentioned that your son may be normal, albeit with a slightly larger-than-average sized head? And normal kids can have developmental delays too.

Regardless, know that I'm standing her rooting your son on and hoping that the answers come in due course (hopefully sooner rather than later). That's a cadre of doctors he'll be seeing so I'm wishing for some info to come out of all of it for you and your family.

And--you're right, what is it about diapers and overnight? We put J down around 8 or 9 and she sleeps (most nights) until 7 or so. But almost every morning when I go in to get her, she is soaked in pee! Today's episode was especially wet. But I'm just too lazy of a person/mom to get her up in the middle of the night and preemptively change her diaper. Wish I would though...but I just love the sleep too much. Yes, apparently, I'm a lazy cow :-)

The Queen Mama said...

It's going to take a while for you to process all of this. Don't worry, your emotions will catch up on the relief-o-meter.

We went through the soaked overnights with my older boys, too. My older sis put me on to a product called diaper doublers (if memory serves). They're kind of like maxi pads without the adhesive backing. Put them toward the front half of the overnighter and see if that doesn't help some. And I'm sure you're already limiting fluids after dinner.

Good luck! And thank God it's not what you feared the worst on the MRI!

WriterGrrl said...

Thanks for the good thoughts -- and for the maxi-pad tip! And Dee, you're not lazy. Because if you're lazy, I'm, well, a sloth. :-) Seriously. I take lazy to SUPREME heights.