Wednesday, December 03, 2014


Yesterday was one of those days that, while things are happening, you can already imagine telling people the story afterwards. You know how you'll sound, where you'll roll your eyes, where your audience will laugh, everything. But it was also one of those days where you just keep saying OH MY GOD MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT BE OVER HOLY CRAP I CANNOT TAKE ONE MORE THING.

It started Monday night, when Adi spiked a fever after two days of Ara-C. Not unexpected, as Ara-C is known to cause fevers. But it meant a trip to the ER, nonetheless. And then, out of nowhere, suddenly Adi was in pain. Stomach pain. And since we've been down that road before, I knew immediately that we weren't going to be getting IV antibiotics and going home.

We were admitted, even though the x-ray showed nothing, because with Adi's history, you don't mess around.

Tuesday morning, we had another abdominal x-ray and an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed "something," but to get more clarity, we'd need a CT. With contrast. So Adi drank a litre of contrast dye, and then they put in a peripheral line for the contrast material (it clogs picc lines), and off we went. (Well, actually, we waited hours and hours, and then off we went.)

They gave Adi propofol and sent me out of the room. And then I suddenly realized it had been 25 minutes, and WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY DOING IN THERE???? So I went over to the door and heard Adi SCREAMING, and then the doctor opened the door and said, "It's okay, we had technical difficulties."

Um, what now?

Well, they started putting in the contrast material, and the peripheral line burst. And then when they tried to use the picc line? It tore. But no problem, because he was already out, so they could put in a new peripheral line, right? Except that when they stuck him, HE WOKE UP, and I wasn't in the room, and he was NOT HAPPY, and then the stoma just started leaking poop everywhere, and then he started screaming. But somehow, they had gotten the CT done, the doctor told me.

Except that, of course, it was inconclusive, and so Adi had to drink another litre of contrast dye, although this time they did the CT without propofol, and then they told us that Adi has an infection in his bowel. Of course he does.

So, he remains NPO, on antibiotics, inpatient, until further notice.


Crystal T. said...

That is just awful. I hate days like that. Straight out of a (parent's) horror movie.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I seem to have lost adi's full Hebrew name for tehillim. Can you please give it to me again?