Wednesday, April 21, 2010

And now we wait.

Sent: April 12
To: D's teacher, D's principal

Hi there,

In anticipation of our placement ARD for D, I would like to see a list of schools being considered, because I want to visit them before I sign off on any placement. I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know which schools you are thinking about for D, so that I can learn more about them prior to the end of the school year, while classes are still in session.

Thank you,
WG

Received: April 20
From: Principal

Hi Ms. WG,
Please contact [redacted] regarding your question concerning D's placement for 2010-2011. D's home school is [redacted]. We look forward to seeing you soon for his ARD. thank you,

Principal

Sent: April 20
To: Special Education Coordinator

Hi,

I want to find out about the schools being considered for D's placement for next year. It's very important to me to see the schools being considered before I sign off on any placement. I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know which schools you are thinking about for D, so that I can learn more about them prior to the end of the school year, while classes are still in session.

Thank you so much for your help!

WG


Received: April 21
From: Special Education Coordinator

Good morning Mrs. WG,

How are you? D’s home school is [redacted], and [redacted] has two lifeskills classes on that campus. If the ARD IEP committee recommends the Lifeskills placement for D, since the home school offers the placement, then [redacted] will be the recommendation. The department chair at [redacted] is [redacted]. Feel free to call to set up an appointment to visit the school. Have a great day!

Special Education Coordinator


Sent: April 21
To: Special Education Coordinator

Hey lady,

Bite me. No, seriously, WTF?


Sent: April 21
To: Special Education Coordinator

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!

I sincerely hope they do not recommend a lifeskills placement; we feel strongly that this is not at all in D's best interest. D has made an enormous amount of progress this year, and we hope to see that continue.

His developmental pediatrician also specifically stated that a lifeskills placement would not be the least restrictive environment for him.

What other options are available?

5 comments:

moplans said...

UGH. like you have time for this.
I would lead with what you ended with. fax over a copy of that dev ped recommendation. then call back.

Kelli said...

How frustrating. From what you've written, it seems like D has a lot of potential. A child with meaningful speech and on the cusp of reading at age six? Should not be in a lifeskills class. There is, obviously, a lot more to the story than you've written here, but it really seems like everyone - the district, the insurance company - is trying their damnedest to hamper D's future success. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: what you write here really gives me a better appreciation for the outright discrimination that disabled people and their families face.

PS - you left D's real name in one of the emails.

WriterGrrl said...

Kelli -- Thanks! Fixed it. And yes, I agree with your assessment that this kid can't catch a break. Makes me nuts.

Moplans -- that would have been smart, you're right. Ugh. Whatever.

Need chocolate.

Alexandra said...

I truly admire how you will let nothing discourage you, or intimidate you, or make you give up, when it comes to D.

It's easier to just lay down and let them run over you sometimes. I know.

I think you are very strong, and will get D what he needs to have.

Unknown said...

Have these people read anything about SOTOS? SOTOS children take off at a certain point and tying their hands in a life skills class is not the way to go. We were at the same place 18 months ago and managed to get our SOTOS girl into a non-lifeskills class. She has taken off this last year and is moving to an even less restrictive class next year.