Monday, March 30, 2009

Random Things

My in-laws' car is a sedan. We're used to our roomy Odyssey, but we're way too cheap to rent a car for the whole time we're here. So the other day, some of us went out, but J had to stay behind. The major disadvantage of a sedan, besides the whole not fitting all the kids in, is that the kids are so freaking close to us.

Anyway, we're driving, and as usual, Mr. WG and I are dishing family gossip, and somehow we get to one of his siblings who really should just get divorced already. And then we make our usual joke about how when WE get divorced we'll do it this way and not that way, blah blah. And the Mr. WG says to S., "Now's the time when you have to say, 'Yay, now we can get a dog!'" (I won't let them get one, but Mr. WG would.)

"Yay!" she enthuses.

"We're not actually getting a divorce," I tell her, because I know that if I don't correct the misassumption, she will tell everyone in a matter of moments.

"Oh, phooey," she says, and you can tell she's actually disappointed.

***

In Israel, there are several spots known as Holy Gravesites. Biblical figures like Rachel and other important figures are buried in such places, and people visit them. My husband's niece drew a picture and showed it to her mother.

"Look," she said. "This is your grave. It's right next to Rachel's, and people come and pray there and honor you."

"That's my grave?"

"Yes, but look! You're buried next to Rachel because you're so holy!"

"But I'm DEAD."

***

We're at a restaurant with another brother-in-law and his family. They have these little bells you can push to call a waiter, which the children are thoroughly enjoying. At one point, one of my husband's nieces asks if we can call to the servant for more water.

***

We're driving to Elkana to visit friends, and we get to the security checkpoint. My husband rolls down the window and greets the guard in Hebrew with "Shavua tov," -- A good week, the traditional after-shabbat greeting, and the guard waves us through. "Shavua tov is enough," my husband says, as we drive into the settlement. He means it's enough for the guard to hear and ascertain that we belong there, that we're not coming in to set off a bomb or start shooting. From the backseat, Z asks, "So we don't have to pay?"

0 comments: