Monday, July 21, 2008


Yesterday was one of those fairly lazy Sundays where we had a lot of ideas and things to do that didn't quite get done.

First on the agenda was a trip to Home Depot to buy some new locks for the doors -- we need to replace the garage and side doors with locks that use keys from the inside and outside, so that we can lock them and put the keys away in an effort to slow down D's ever-increasing escapes.

This is mostly because lately, when Mr. WG and I get up in the morning and make our bleary-eyed way to the kitchen, we glimpse our trash cans lying down at the end of the driveway. D. is quick to clap his hands with glee and say, "Did you put the black? The black is sleeping. Hooray!"

Of course, there was also the morning we found him driving the motorized Barbie Jeep AROUND OUR CUL-DE-SAC at 8 a.m. Yeah, we're not winning any parenting awards anytime soon.

Fine. So, Mr. WG goes to Home Depot and then gets home and decides to clean out the garage. So he leaves the car parked in the driveway, and perhaps left the keys in the car, I'm not sure. And it's not worth asking him or fighting about right now. And D. and Baby J. were climbing all over the car, and then D. got out, and then all of a sudden, Baby J. was crying.

In the car. The locked car. With a key in the ignition, but the car not turned on. In the sun. In July.

"You have two minutes," I said to Mr. WG, "before I call 911." Because one key was in the ignition, the other remote opener wouldn't unlock the doors. The key we had outside the car was the valet key, which doesn't unlock the doors. And Baby J, bless his heart, could not understand our ever-more-desperate pleas to "Push the button!"

I called 911. Three or four minutes later, a police car showed up. The fire truck and two more police cars followed in the next 90 seconds. They told us that there was another truck, with a tool that could open the ar without damaging it, on the way, but he was having trouble finding the street.

It had been about 10 minutes at this point, and I could see Baby J. slowing down. "He'll be here in a few minutes," one officer said. "Or we can smash the window." The EMTs watched Baby J. closely, and I guess one of them saw the same lethargy that I did, because he took a crowbar to the window farthest from where Baby J. was.

When we got him out, he was dripping with sweat, crying in terror, and beautifully alive. Thank God. I gave him juice and held him and sat down on the driveway because my legs wouldn't hold me up anymore.

Right now, the glass guy is in my driveway replacing the window, and I don't really care how much it costs.

This could have been a very different story, and I am so grateful that it is not.

But seriously, what is it about my boys and having to call 911?


Anonymous said...

OMG! I have chills. That is so scary - I once locked my daughter in the car in her car seat, she was 15 months. The car was on though, so she was safe, but it was embarrassing. We were in a parking lot and the police came and used that tool you mentioned. At least everyone is OK.

Teej said...

Oh my god, how terrifying. You poor mommy -- I can imagine that you were freaked right the hell out. Glad you called 9-1-1 so quickly.

dee said...

Wow--poor baby and poor you! Gah, I hate calling 911 for something related to the kids. We've now had to do it once for each child and it shaved years off my life each time.

Glad your story had a good outcome--though, you're right, it could have been so much worse. Our local news ran a story just this past weekend that was a worst-case scenario. Horrible.

Hope there are no more 911 calls in your future (at least, not for a long time, if ever!).

dee said...

P.S. Hey, I almost forgot, if you want the directions on how to make those silhouettes, please send me a quick email to themesas@gmaildotcom and I'll send them to you. Super easy to do!

lisa said...

I'm sorry you all had to go through that, how terrifying! I'm glad Baby J is okay and that is was only a broken window. Sending out a big hug to you.

Lisa b said...

Wow WG, you are tough. I am about to have a stroke just reading about this.

Thanks for the tips on the doorlocks. I am so not looking forward to Julia's future antics. Maybe since she's a girl it will be easier? I pray....

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry- that is so scary. Glad it turned out okay. I think that could happen to any of us with children-so don't feel bad.

ella said...

Thank G-d. I can't imagine the terror you must have felt. Thank G-d for happy endings.

dana said...

I just had to write something. I am a little crazy, but I for some reason always leave my windows open, who knows what can happen. Especially when I leave me keys in the car. I guess that I am kinda crazy like that. So glad that everyone was ok.

The Gwench said...

I'm a police officer and have responded to numerous kids locked in vehicles. It happens a lot more than you would think, so don't be too hard on yourself. We always have the fire department medics dispatched with us on those calls, and they do a great job. The good thing is you realized that they were in there and kept an eye on them enough to know there was a problem. It's horrible when you hear about one that isn't as fortunate. And that, ladies and gents, is what 911is there for. Don't feel bad about using it.