Tuesday, June 05, 2007

One block at a time

So, today was D's first session in the developmental/behavioral class. Mr WG took him. Mr. WG is going to take him every Tuesday. This is awesome for several reasons:

1. Mr. WG and D. will be out of the house while Baby J. naps, which means that WG can sit around watching Tivo work.

2. It is useful for all caregivers to participate in this class, because we'll learn strategies we can use at home.

3. Did I mention the free time component?

Seriously, so much of my life lately has been driving D. to therapy and being "on" for the session and then driving back home and fighting to stay awake -- it has exhausted me. And it will be lovely to share the burden.

Anyway, I wasn't at the class today, so I can't give you the play-by-play. I can tell you that there are 3 boys in the class, including D. The other two have no speech issues, according to Mr. WG. And when I asked, "Did D. do what he was supposed to, more or less?" his answer was, "Less. Definitely less." So.

A fuller report after I attend class on Thursday.

Tomorrow, I'm taking D. for a second attempt at a neuropsych eval. I'm not sure that I had the strength to write up the failed first attempt. It went something like this:

Dr. High Expectations: OK, D., please take these blocks and build a tower like this.
D: (leaves chair, heads for computer.)
Dr. HE: OK, D., please draw this pattern after me.
D: I want to go potty.
WG: I wish that were true. Sit down.
D: You wanna go see Aba?
WG: No. Sit down.
Dr. HE: OK, D., please calculate the square root of Pi to the seventh power.
D.: 54.9571945
Dr. HE: He didn't show his work, so I'm not giving him full credit.

So. Not really a ringing success. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi WG,

Just wanted to pop in to let you know I still read your blog as much as I can! I have you on my Google Reader so I cn get the feed.

I wish you, Mr. WG and of course D. the best with this new class!

fhgf said...

WG,

Wait, you're suppossed to feed children THREE times EACH day? I've been grossly misinformed. And what do kids like to eat anyway? I just give mine hot sauce packets and microwave popcorn. That way all the food groups are represented: Corn and Sauce.

WriterGrrl said...

Thanks, Nikki!

Handsome -- corn and sauce would keep my kids pretty happy. Toss in a hot dog now and then, and they're over the moon. I find that the key is to teach them to have low expectations. :-)