Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Still More D. Doings, Plus Redecorating Fun!

The School, via its associated therapy center, offers

an intervention program designed to increase the social-communication skills of young children with their peers and family. Children in these groups typically exhibit social-emotional difficulties secondary to developmental issues such as high functioning Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), Asperger’s Syndrome, and forms of communication delay. The behavioral strategies introduced are designed for this population. Common presenting issues include children who struggle with impulsivity, frustration tolerance, social confidence, and the ability to pay attention.

To accomplish the goals for DBB, children are brought together in small groups to participate in activities and transitions that would be required in a typical preschool classroom. It is the philosophy of DBB that the relationship between a child and his or her parent is the key to changing and maximizing development. Therefore, initially parents are asked to attend class so that they learn how to encourage communication, attune to the emotional temperament of their child, and manage difficult behaviors in the home setting. Children later attend class independently to help generalize their growing skills to a typical preschool environment.

Next week, I’ll take D. in for an intake session with the woman who runs the program. She’ll try to match him into a group for June and July, the summer session. They meet twice weekly, 1 hour and 15 minutes/session, for the bargain price of $100/session.

The goal is basically to get D. to understand that The School is a safe place, that he does not have to lose his mind if we take him there, and that he might even like it. My plan is to work towards reapplying in October. I have no idea what anyone else’s plan is, but that’s mine.

I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned this, but I actually have three other neglected children. I just redid my daughters’ bedroom in the last few days. Until now, they had their own rooms, but we’ve now moved them in together. We considered purchasing a full bedroom set, but in the end, we went with a MUCH cheaper solution – we bought used rails and box springs off Craigslist for a GRAND TOTAL of $30. For no particular reason. NOT AT ALL brought on by the prospect of spending $200/week ON TOP OF camp and everything else. Ahem.

Then I went to Target and got the quilts, sheets, and dust ruffles. I also got new pulls for the bathroom cabinets. And I replaced the closet door – which was full of nail holes and had no doorknob – with this funky curtain.

Mr. WG needs to install the pretty shades I bought for the windows and the pretty hooks for in the bathroom. But even so, I’m very happy with the way it turned out. And so are the girls. And the total cost is about $300.

I’ll start on the boys’ room soon.

Anyway, I realize that these “after” pictures would be more impressive if I had bothered to take “before” pictures, but oh, well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI, you realize that by quoting from their website I found "The School"? So now I know what part of the US you live in. If you really want to be anonymous, it's better not to quote.

Anonymous said...

Well, I've officially read all of your postings. :D

Good luck with the school. I hope it goes well. I'll be checking back for updates.

That room looks precious, btw. :)

WriterGrrl said...

Anon -- Seriously, if anyone REALLY wants to figure out who I am, it's not hard. The primary reason I blog anonymously is so that my parents don't read what I write. I have given the site address to several IRL friends, and I have posted my kid's name by accident several times before taking it down. The idea is that googling me won't lead to hear. And it doesn't.

WriterGrrl said...

Thanks, Blu! I enjoyed your comments as you read through! And I'm glad you like the room!

Anonymous said...

Um, Anon, not to be mean, but you must seriously have way too much time on your hands. If you actually took the time to research where she lives based on a quote, you must be very bored. I could recommend some self-help books if you'd like. Or you could come clean my house if you are desparate for a hobby.

Yana said...

Hey, where Did you go? Have you vanished? I'm worried about you.